The Housing Support Workers are a team of people who work shifts to provide 24/7 support to over half of our tenants. This includes during Jewish Holidays, Bank Holidays and weekends. With a visit or a call every day if required, they ensure every single one of our sheltered housing tenants is safe and secure. They get to know our tenants very well, often developing strong bonds and friendships with them – tenants continually comment on how valuable this service is to them.
We have developed a short video to explain what exactly can happen during a day in the life of a Housing Support Worker. The video covers:
- Morning calls to tenants to make sure they are happy and healthy
- Contacting GPs on behalf of tenants if any health concerns are picked up by the HSWs
- Home visits to tenants to provide face-to-face contact for the day.
- HSWs also report repairs to the repairs department on behalf of tenants, and they proactively report repairs that arise in the sheltered housing scheme communal areas.
- Helping residents with meals is another service that HSWs can sometimes assist with, three of our Sheltered Housing schemes are physically next to the MAZCC, and as such can collect hot meals from the Oasis café and restaurant.
The Housing Support Workers also take a more proactive role in organising and facilitating events such as helping with coffee mornings, bingo afternoons and bagel brunches for tenants. HSWs are based in Skyte House to direct all calls from the warden call system (the traditional pull cord communication system in every sheltered housing flat). Our support workers are mostly based at Stonegate Way, Skyte House and Sheila Saunders, but also have offices in Burton House (also supporting sheltered residents in Lady Park Court) and Bentcliffe Court (also supporting residents who live in Green Park).
How you want to communicate with the HSWs can vary and the choice is yours, we can facilitate face to face visit every day, a call through the warden call system or you can even opt out.
As specified on the ‘My Tenancy’ page, our HSW’s purely offer support for the sheltered housing tenants, and not care services. Care must be arranged with another company, separate from LJHA.